Location & Entry Process
- LAST UPDATE 11:00am
- You can print or save on your phone a useful PDF brochure and the expo lists from the downloads page
- The Hilton Sydney is on George St opposite the QVB
- You must show your ticket to gain entry. Bring a printed copy of your ticket OR have our email on your phone OR download the eventbrite app and login then show the eticket at L3 registration.
- Catering is provided subject to final budget for most ticket types. Coffee/tea on arrival. Morning tea. Buffet lunch. Espresso on all floors.
- All locations are at the Sydney Hilton
- MA: Main Conference Plenary (Main Auditorium) – Level 3
- EX: Expo Main Halls – Levels 3 & 4
- BR: Masterclasses in breakout rooms
- Level 2 (BR5, BR6) and
- Level 4 (BR1, BR2)
- Main Stage – Level 3 inside Main Auditorium
- ES: Expo Stage – Level 4
- Catering – Levels 3 & 4
- Espresso Coffee – Levels 2, 3 & 4 included free, also Ground floor lobby (outside SydStart) at extra charge.
- By Floor –
- L4: SydStart Upper Level, Expo, Expo Stage, break out rooms, catering, espresso
- L3: SydStart Middle Level, Main Auditorium, Main Stage, Expo, Speakers Prep, Cafe, Registration, catering
- L2: SydStart lower Level, Break out rooms, catering, espresso
The full detailed agenda. It covers all 3 levels, 6 streams, meetups, 50 speakers/panellists and more. An overview agenda is below. please note that due to extensive last minute request for changes the three agendas may have slight differences. Announcements will be made in the main auditorium covering the days changes. This is a community event, if in doubt, and the break room is free, grab it!
Please start and finish your break outs on time and release rooms to the next scheduled speakers.
Agenda for SydStart 2014 Spring – Tue September 2nd Sydney Hilton
- SydStart is Australia’s original and largest professional startup Conference, Expo and community for tech and tech enabled business entrepreneurs and investors.
- Get your tickets to attend, pitch, exhibit or sponsor right now. Last event was sold out.
- This is your conference! SydStart is run by the community for the community.
- Together we are growing the Australian tech and tech enabled startup ecosystem at remarkable rates.
- So get involved – this is your event!
Help us help you
- Promoting and connecting your ecosystem via social media is important, please use hashtag #sydstart and follow us on facebook | twitter
- We always need volunteers on the day to help with a range of things. If you are keen and want to connect and perhaps other bonuses then please get in touch.
Structure of the day
Please feel free to wander around the expo and conference and breakout sessions across all levels (2,3,4) all day.
Main components of the day are –
- Warm-up – registration, coffee, expo, bump in, casual specialist industry vertical meet-ups in break out rooms
- Start – Opening and Wave One keynote Speakers and panels – People Who Have Done Stuff of global significance- Personal Journeys. Inspiration. Tips. First hand insight.
- Middle – Community announcements, masterclasses, breakouts, expo, demos, lunch
- Afternoon – Wave Two Speakers, main SydStart finals for pitching competition, startup trophy, expo, demos, startup bus competitors
- Wrap-up – expo, after party announcements, bump out, thank you to sponsors
Speakers and Proceedings (Draft)
Please note this agenda is still changing from time to time, typically once a week, it should be firm by late Aug 2014. We are aiming for our best agenda yet. Earlier agendas from past events are listed at the bottom of this page.
Opening with Coffee/Tea on Arrival 8-9
- 0800 Expo Open on Levels 3 and 4
- 0800 Meetups Open on Levels 2 and 4 (rooms) and Level 3 (casual)
- 0900 Conference Open
- L4 BR1 940 Mike Zammit – Shelston IP – on strategic intellectual property management.
Conference Plenary Commencement
- L3 MA 0915 Clover Moore Lord Mayor City of Sydney
- L3 MA 0920 Alex Greenwich NSW MP Linkedin
- L3 MA 0925 Angus Armour Dept Secretary NSW Trade & Investment Linkedin
- L3 MA 0930 Pitch Rush
- L3 MA 0935 Pete Cooper – SydStart Founder – State of the Start LinkedIn
- L3 MA 0940 Matt Barrie Freelancer.com CEO & Founder – IPO ASX:FLN 12m customers. Recent acquisition Warrior Forum. Linkedin
- L3 MA 1250 Ric Richardson (aka the $400m man) on planning and protecting your startup (patents, intellectual property & other techniques) – from Uniloc. Surprise announcement. Then proceeding in break out room.
- L3 MA 1000 Melanie Perkins Canva.com CEO & Co-founder – Raised $6.5m+ remarkable growth. LinkedIn
- L3 MA 1015 Daniel Friedman NinjaBlocks CEO – Internet of things startup – record holding success on Kickstarter
- L3 MA 1030 Liz Kaelin Startup Singer
- L3 MA 1035 Hugh O’Brien Undaunted Author
Morning Tea Break in Expo Levels 3 and 4 [11am-11:30am]
- L3 MA 1130 Mike Cannon-Brookes Atlassian CEO & Co-founder – Recent $3.5b valuation. Linkedin
- L3 MA 1130 Niki Scevak – StartMate/BlackBird Ventures/Sunrise – Co-Founder – Ecosystem Update. Linkedin
- L3 MA 1220 James Windon Brigade CEO & Co-founder – US. Recent raise. Previously causes.com. LinkedIn
- L3 MA 1240 Matt Symonds Society One CEO & Founder – Raised $8.5m. Peer to Peer Lending. LinkedIn
- L2BR6 1200 Masterclass: Alex North Building Your Engineering Team
- L3 MA 1210 Max Kraynov JetRadar CEO – Raised $10m. International Travel. Linkedin
- L3 MA 1220 Arlene Wherrett BlueWolf CEO – Top Talent Management for Startups – TBC
- L3 MA 1235 Adir Shiffman Catapult Sports Chairman – Elite Sports Analytics. Recent Investment. Interview by Alex Heber / Ben Reid
- L3 MA 1250 Speaker/Panel – Funding Insight
- Stuart Fox – Artesian Capital/Venture Crowd – Director/Founder – Australia’s first equity crowd funding platform – confirmed
- Anna Maguire – Moderator – Crowd Fund It – Author – has researched over 300 crowd funding and related platforms for her book
- Matt Symonds Society One
- L3 MA 1250 Sebastian Eckersley-Maslin – Blue Chilli Group – CEO & Founder – Just raised $9.5m for startup incubator accelerator
- L3 MA 1250 Bosco Tan & Alvin Singh – Pocketbook – Co-founders – Just raised 500K after SydStart launch and growing rapidly
- L3 MA 1250 Reminder Announcement on masterclasses commencing after lunch in breakout rooms. Jo Ucukalo
- L4 BR1 1400 Mike Zammit – Shelston IP – on strategic intellectual property management.
- L4BR2 1400 Content Driven Communities Masterclass Breakout
- L3 MA 1400 Charlotte Yarkoni, Annie Parker, Mick Liubinskas Co-Founders Muru-D Accelerator
- L3 MA 1405 Rebekah Campbell Posse CEO and Founder
- L3 MA 1450 Reminder about masterclasses and breakout rooms for after the break. Jo Ucukalo.
Afternoon Tea  in Expos L3 and L4
Wave Two – Pitching Competition – People Who Are Trying To Do Stuff – Intro
- L3 MA 1520 Startup Trophy – Shortlisted 220 applicants > 80 semi-finalists > 30 finalists.
- L3 MA 1520 Judges assemble. Battle for prizes decided by judging criteria
- 1530 Pitch 1 – BLRT
- 1540 Pitch 2 – GoFar
- 1550 Pitch 3 – YouChews
- 1600 Pitch 4 – Thinkable
- 1610 Pitch 5 – CoalFacer
- 1620 Pitch 6 – UrbanOutsource
- 1630 Pitch 7 – StockSpot
- 1640 Pitch 8 – Rbutr
- 1650 Pitch 9 – NextForSale
- 1700 Pitch 10 – Touch Payments
- Additional 11 or 12 ranked finalist may pitch (strictly if time permits only)
Informal Break and Community Announcements
- L3 MA 1710 Benjamin Chong Founder Institute Director.
Global mentoring and accelerator organisation. Update and call for next intake class.
- L3 MA 1715 Murray Hurps Fishburners.org General Manager. Leading Co-working space.
- L3 MA 1720 Daniel Ringrose and Jet Swain Lean Startup Machine
- L3 MA 1720 Rick Baker / Mikey Kallis OzApps Announcement
Judging and Awards
- MA 1720 Thank you to our volunteers, sponsors, supporters and hosts
- MA 1730 Judging Oversight PwC
- MA 1730 Thank you to sponsors, volunteers, supporters, speakers, community and exhibitors
- MA 1740 Awarding of the Startup Trophy – Judges, major sponsors and finalists on stage
- 1800 Arthouse Hotel Casual Function – Exit Hilton via Pitt St exit and turn left. Lanyarad required for entry and party pass bracelet.